Sunday, January 6, 2013

Movie #3 The Searchers AFI #96

The Searchers.  A movie starring the infamous John Wayne.  You can never go wrong with John Wayne.  This one, I have never seen or heard of until I saw it on this list.  Then I told my Auntie Donna about my list and she told me "you have to watch The Searchers".  Well, I took Aunties advice.

The Searchers is of course a western, made in 1956, directed by John Ford.  John Wayne is a veteran of the Civil War and he returns home to Texas; three years after the war is over.  The welcome home is ...well, moderate to say the least.  Although I will say there is some tension between him and his brothers wife.  If you watch this movie; pay attention to the interaction between the two.  I have a feeling these too were more that just brother and sister in law. 

The movie escalculates when a band of Commache Indians attack the family.  Well, you don't attack John Waynes kin and expect to ride away peacefully.  I won't say to much as fear of giving the entire movie away.  But I will say that this is a good Cowboys v. Indians movie.  I love the humor behind the dramatic side of the movie.  The scenary is wonderful as well as John Wayne. The acting is a little over the top for the supporting characters; borderline silly.  But I believe that during this period in cinema a good many movie actors are that way. 

If you are a true John Wayne fan you will love this movie.  He is funny, rude, and tough like always.  Me..hate a John Wayne movie...."That'll be the day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment